Sunday, October 15, 2006

Yogyakarta

Houses in the little alleys down by the river in
Yogyakarta, where Lars and I studied Indonesian.

When Lars and I found this bathroom with a house in Yogya, I had to have it...

Our neighbours in the alleys of our ‘kampung’.

Mau ke mana?

Mount Merapi – this is the one that was classified the world’s most active volcano a few months ago and started spewing scalding gases and a bit of molten lava too. Villages around the volcano were evacuated, but Yogya was pretty safe.

Of course, living so near an active volcano, it was important to try climbing it and see what it was really like at the top. Before it went on high-alert, of course.

The sunrise view of Mount Babu from nearly (but not quite) the top of Merapi. We did get to the top (!!), but it was too gassey to take pictures.

A ceremony at the kraton - the sultan’s palace in the heart of Yogya - a whole town in itself.

A night out in Yogya with Nicole and a jug of Blue.

Lars and I at Dieng Plateu – up for sunrise again - and it was so cold I had to wear a cardigan.

Prambanan, the famous hindhu temple complex near Yogya.

Leaving Wisma Bahasa – our fab teachers at language school who taught us at least 20 times as much as we know now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home